Monday, April 26, 2010

Feeling fine but it must be the wine cuz' it's April 27th...

Frederic Edwin Church
Rainy Season in the Tropics (1866)
Oil on canvas
56 1/4 x 84 3/16 in. (142.9 x 213.8 cm)
M.H. de Young Museum, San Francisco





While on a NW tour to support the last record in 2006, Tom and I looked at this painting for a good while. Rainy Season in the Tropics was symbolic of many a great things for us --- our love of wanderlust, discovery and treasure --- but most famously amongst our friends, the different usages of the painter's last name which Tom cleverly and absurdly came up with...

And on this same tour, we both discovered Destroyer. We listened Destroyer's Rubies everyday on the road. It changed my life. I think it did for Tom as well.

I can't listen to this album without thinking about that time now. I still can't believe what has just happened. You didn't know it Tom but you were my most loyal friend.

And miraculously this song popped up this evening --- Destroyer's The Music Lovers.

Farewell Sir Thomas.