Monday, November 23, 2009

El Perro del Mar

These ladies really did it for me this year... First there was Camera Obscura's My Maudlin Career, then Taken by Trees' East of Eden. Now it's El Perro del Mar's Love is Not Pop. 

I'm a sucker for sad songs sung by sweet voices... and Sarah from El Perro del Mar can make even the worst song sound heavenly. When I first heard her new album, "Gotta Get Smart" was it for me.




Then I found comfort in "A Better Love." These two songs absolutely encapsulate the last couple of months for me.

I think the last time I cried during a show was at Acoustic Mainlines.

Seeing El Perro del Mar play tonight nicely rounded off this year for me. Don't you love it when the music you love listening to at home comes alive right in front of your eyes... complete with the best musicians with the most beautiful guitars, backing up a beautiful singer with the best outfit on, singing like there's no tomorrow? Things have changed since I last saw her a few years ago. She's in a different place now. So am I. Our timing is great.