Friday, April 13, 2007

Goo

On my day off, LA encountered a windstorm which caused havoc throughout the city. In my hood, EP, power was out for a good 10 hours. Geez, all I wanted to do today was chill at home, play Gtr Hero II, and enjoy all my electrical currents.

A tree fell on top of a car on Scott Street in the afternoon.


Then I saw a burning car on Sunset.


Since I couldn't do much at home once it got dark, TED & I went to Amoeba. Ran into Michael and his gf in the Brazilian section which was a rewarding category for me today. I found Wanda de Sah of Brasil '65 (so good), a Jobim record I hadn't seen ever (which is helping me complete his catalog), and a rad looking cover of the recently reissued, "La nueva onda del Brasil" which promised to be “The White Album Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 never recorded." Wow. Sounded too good to be true. Had to get it. Then TED found Geoff & Maria's "Sweet Potatoes" which we didn't know much about but it had all the right clues: the artwork cover looked awesome, seeing that Joe Boyd was the producer was awesome, and that it was recorded at Bearsville Sound Studios in the early 70s was awesome. It was a good time at Amoeba (Thanks YP). Today's purchased gems have gotten me listening to records again and taking a break from iTunes. You can only to listen to Brazilian music on vinyl I think. Somehow this makes sense to me.


A tree fell and basically crushed the metal fence at the Echo Park Lake. If this is the first day of the end of the world, I say, "bring it on."