Friday, October 05, 2007

"Leave Them All Behind"

I'm still trying to unpack everything since my move back in mid-August. I can't believe how much stuff I have. Such excess. Boxes and boxes that have been stored in the garage for years. Going through them have been heavy; old diaries (I forgot I had actually handwritten complete sentences on paper before), birthday cards, photo's, hand-written letters and poems from exes, drawings, books, records, Hello Kitty stationary (yes!), precious keepsakes...

I was visiting my parents a few weeks ago and was bragging to my father about how I've managed to unpack almost everything and had donated A LOT of unnecessary goods to the Goodwill. Yep, how altruistic am I??? I'm an absolute Good Samaritan. Then my daddy mentioned that I still had a lot of stuff in the garage. "Would you like to take at least some of them now?" he suggested. "Sure, I guess. What do I have?" I replied. I ended up driving home with 5 boxes of records I forgot had ever existed. It took a while for those boxes to make it inside the house. But when they did, I spent two evenings this past week going through them. These are from my high school and college years, you know, those formative years. Now I've stopped listening to my AirTunes and am playing records again. It's been heavy but in such a good cathartic way. Music unlocks those forgotten memories. They're really helping me keep it together right now. Play and you shall receive.

I guess I must have forgotten how obsessed I was with classical music (RCA Red Seal Label, Angel and Nonesuch Records especially), late 50s female pop vocals, jazz and of course, early 90s indie [Ride, Lush, MBV, St. Etienne, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, Electronic, EMF, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Farmland (wtf?), Birdland (what was I thinking?), Jesus Jones (ditto), The Wonder Stuff (yes!), Chapterhouse (yes yes!), Tindersticks, everything Sarah & Teenbeat] were all faves.

Really heavy shit:

Pearl Bailey's "C'est la Vie"
Erik Satie's "Parade, Relâche Ballets et Gymnopédies"
Jean Martinon's "Symphonie Fantastique"
Ride's "Nowhere"
Ramsey Lewis' "The In Crowd"