Thursday, December 18, 2008

My history with Lawrence

The wii mii of Lawrence:


felt... denim... go-kart mozart... from guitars to synthesizers... from melody to poetry... from poetry to melody.

I like whiny voices: Dylan, L Reed, Dan Bejar, John Darnielle, Mr. Bickerson... but I have a special spot in my heart for Lawrence. No need to tell you of his epic history as it's better written and documented elsewhere. McGee said it best here.


FELT
10 singles, 10 albums, 10 years. 10. 100. 1. 0. 10. 10. 10. 100. 1000. 0. 1. Perfect.

The World is as Soft as Lace
I knew I was going to fall in love with this song when I first read the title. The most beautiful song on their second album. Deebank's delicate, sublime classical and guitar work brings Lawrence's poetry to life. As elegant as love, this always breaks my heart.

The first verse: "…If I could, I would change the world / But you know my visions they're absurd / And all my great plans get blurred / By the softest touch, the gentlest word…."

Song for William S. Harvey
As dark and serious as Lawrence could be sometimes, how fun is this song? A bit cheeky eh? Deebank had just left but luckily Duffy comes in with his Hammond organ. I die. I die so hard for this song. I hear something new each time I listen to it. It makes me feel giddy and I can't stand still when I hear it. Why can't people recognize that this is POP, massive pop, candy coated pop, kiddie pop, France Gall Les Sucettes kinda pop.

Riding on the Equator
I think I've listened to this one particular song more than any other song in my life. If I am influenced by anything, anyone, this is it. Duffy brings what Deebank brought in the form of keys. And the exquisite dueling guitars: nothing aggressive about it, it's like sharing a dish, it's like opening the door for someone, it's like manners... the best manners.


Ben (my old bandmate) with Duffy circa 2003 somewhere in Europe... Mojo once said I was the demon "Duffy" of my old band! Do you know how high of a compliment that is? The highest. But how did they know I was a demon?


DENIM
Dripping with sarcasm, backed by the Glitter Band, it's Denim on Ice.

Tampax Advert
I took nitrous once to try to speak and sing like this... I can relate.

Glue and Smack
negative, negative, positive:
"My gay friends said that all naked women look like slaughtered pigs / They're caged anorexics, bulimics, put junkies heads on sticks / They're white washed cathedrals and thirteenth century ships."

City of the Dead + Men Look at Women
Denim Take Over - this was supposed to be the 4th album but never released. Some of the tracks were later released on the second Go Kart album but with different versions and different lyrics. Let me know if you want it. It's a bit of genius.


GO KART MOZART
This is when it gets a bit insane... fully synthesized... back to the bedroom.

Sailor Boy
We're Selfish and Lazy and Greedy
Delta Echo Echo Beta Alpha Neon Kettle (DEEBANK!!!)


Ben with Lawrence around 6 years ago at our London show! Lovely guy. Yes, he had a rather large bandage on his neck (that was kinda peeling off) but he was wearing YSL!!! When I look at this picture, I still can't believe it.